Cloud services have become increasingly necessary for cutting-edge companies and, as a result, EDR Cloud has taken priority among them.
Although backup and connectivity occupy a relevant position in the technological area, protection against cyber-attacks has drastically changed that statistic.
Nowadays, talking about antivirus as a solution has become an almost obsolete term because EDR has replaced it.
The vast majority of cyber-attacks on a company occur because the Endpoint Attack Vector or workstation has been neglected, breaching the minimum security of its network.
EDR Cloud performed with help of outsourcing cloud solutions providers allows you to centrally provide standardized solutions for all employees for every connection to the network.
What is EDR?
Fortinet defines EDR (Endpoint Detection and Response) as a service or tool for protection, detection, and automatic response on any communication device, including workstations and servers.
Unlike a traditional EPP or antivirus, which is only responsible for protecting against attacks according to a list updated depending on the service provider, and EDR uses intelligent protocols to self-assess vulnerability conditions and make decisions autonomously. The intervention of IT personnel in the security area is minimized, and the response time to a vulnerability is optimized.
EDR Cloud features
- Accurate detection
One of the most outstanding features of an EDR Cloud service is the detection of threats through Artificial Intelligence (AI), thus reducing false positives almost entirely.
This way, your IT staff can focus on tasks of more excellent value to the organization instead of constantly reviewing alerts and false threats that only take away valuable time.
Thanks to AI and Machine Learning (ML), malware is detected, but the detection range is extended to Botnets, Ransomware, unauthorized access, suspicious behavior, among others.
With the combined power of AI and ML, it is possible to contain advanced threats in our Endpoints, working together with other security elements such as Sandboxing, which allow isolating any danger in a safe environment to be mitigated without risks in the enterprise network.
- Problem elimination and remediation
With rapid incident response and communication with other cybersecurity elements and systems, it is possible to get back to work quickly after an attack.
The systems are responsible for documenting the incident so that IA and ML can find the source and reduce the attack surface, developing new protection strategies so that the incident does not happen again.
EDR Cloud processes and how it works
An EDR Cloud Service established specific steps when the user installed it in a cloud infrastructure.
These steps determine the effectiveness of the protection process and the self-learning that EDR acquires to deal with future events.
The software manufacturer Symantec summarizes these steps as follows:
Configure The Origin Of The Information
Through this step, a list of sources and destinations of information entering or leaving the organization is fed to evaluate their integrity.
Data selection and cleaning
In this step, the data entering from a destination can be filtered according to some pre-established strategy by the organization to avoid spam or any other data of no interest.
Then, this information goes through a cleaning process. The information that does not correspond to the origin according to the record created is filtered in this process.
From this part, an analytical value is created between the data, events, and related entities. This step can be previously adjusted or established in the security and analysis strategies of the EDR to make it more efficient according to the background of the company and its collaborators.
Presentation of the results
This step is considered vital for the complete EDR Cloud service since it determines its effectiveness. In this step, the analysis of the results obtained under the statistics recorded in the system is performed.
You can make decisions about scalability or a more significant limitation according to what is observed in the analyses given out in the service console.
What is included in an EDR Cloud Service?
When defining an EDR Cloud service contract, you should be attentive to the service offering and its scope.
Many providers offer essential services for local developments without extended support.
Optical Networks is characterized by offering integration and solution to the scope and size of the client. Therefore our EDR Cloud service includes:
- Advanced protection, detection, and response for Endpoints, with minimal IT staff intervention
- Malware protection in pre-execution and post-execution to real-time infection, based on pre-established strategies and data logs
- Zero-day malware protection through execution prevention for detection and mitigation
- Ransomware protection through two phases: of ost-Execution Protection and Exfiltration
- Virtual Patching: Discover and mitigate system and application vulnerabilities. Centralized dispatch of software updates to Endpoints
- Integration with Fortigate and Fortisandbox. Ease in the execution of data testing to verify the security in case of a possible threat.
- When integrated with Fortigate, it includes blocking malicious IP addresses when an event is triggered through firewall policies.
- Offers a Monitoring Dashboard, where events and their actions on the network can be viewed online
- Executive Report in PDF for executive and security decisions regarding the results obtained.
Advantages of an EDR Cloud service
Having observed what can be obtained with an EDR Cloud service, other considerations can also be measured depending on its area of applicability.
These advantages include those related to the scope of the service and its installation, as well as:
- Protection: by having an automated and self-manageable Endpoint in real-time, the response to incidents is immediate, stopping the data breach.
- Management: through the console as the platform’s unified, intuitive interface, the entire cycle of endpoint security tasks is managed in the cloud so that your staff does not have to do it.
- Scalability: once the EDR Cloud service is installed in the client, it can grow more quickly than in a local installation. All processes will be centrally managed from the cloud without requiring an increase in equipment and space costs.
- Flexibility: it allows to have any business integrated into the EDR Cloud service. It only requires adapting the strategies of the data as well as the origins and destinations of the same. Likewise, it will be available in the cloud, which allows it to be easily increased both in Endpoints and data without further complication.
- Cost: The cost of an EDR Cloud service compared to network security infiltration and its respective consequences is minimal and has long-term benefits.
Among other specific advantages of an EDR Cloud service, we can mention those that are directly linked to the added value that the customer receives in his contract, such as :
- Installation of a wide range of Endpoint operating systems. It is only required not to have antivirus pre-installed in this process.
- First and second level support as required and stipulated in the service contract.
- Specialized or branded (Fortinet) technical support, as stipulated in the contract.
- Minimal use of hardware resources of the Endpoints, since the updates, are sent remotely, and the information is previously filtered before reaching the final equipment.
- Reduces unnecessary traffic on the network. Having a centralized protection service in the cloud does not require exhaustive data review on each workstation. All information first goes through a filtering and testing process before being sent to its final destination. It provides more space in the bandwidth of the Internet connection.
From a simple Trojan virus or worm, through the typical phishing attacks via email, to the current ransomware or Botnet, EDR solutions will be the best defense barrier you can have.
Follow Techdee for more!