Node.js and Ruby on Rails are two popular solutions used in web development and usually to decide between the two is a hard choice. Both can support complex web applications but each has benefits and shortcomings. Let’s try to figure which one is the best.
Node.js quick intro
- Ultra high-performance speed.
- Efficient underlying libraries that are responsible for non-blocking income/outcome processing.
- Applications client and the server-side operating in the same language.
- Node.js is a full-stack so you get the whole package.
- Highly sought-after with strong market demand.
- Not a simple task to find skilled developers as Node.js is still a new runtime environment.
- As API is unstable and you must be ready to apply changes to the codebase after the new release is made.
- The development process is not fast.
Ruby on Rails quick intro
Ruby on Rails (RoR) is an open-source web development framework written in Ruby. It is a robust server-side MVC framework that provides developers with default conventions over configuration with no need to work on the boilerplate code. This allows programmers to focus on the features and the logic of the future app rather than coding. As a result, apps are built fast and with fewer risks. Today this framework is used by Airbnb, GitHub, Couchsurfing, Dribble, and over 500 thousand other websites.
Ruby on Rails Pros
- Offers lots of IDE opportunities to enhance productivity.
- Big developers community.
- Powerful and easy programming language.
- Easy database migrations thanks to the particular ActiveRecord module.
- Many free gems plugins that provide additional functionalities for apps.
- Fast and money-saving development.
Ruby on Rails Cons
- Can be tricky with big-scale projects.
- May be difficult to find good documentation.
- Less flexible and scalable.
- Demanding in terms of computing resources.
- Slow performance.
So, Ruby on Rails or Node.js?
So, who won in this battle? It seems that it is a tie. Each technology comes with unique approaches and excellent features. Besides, both Node.js and Ruby on Rails have got some drawbacks that need to be taken into account.
When to pick Node.js
Node.js is the perfect match, when the application is real-time and requires processing many concurrent connections, demands fast page load and intense input-output operations, such as a gaming app. It also can be used for building mobile and desktop development. Besides, Node.js provides easy-to-use tools for APIs creating.
When to pick Ruby on Rails
Ruby on Rails is a perfect option if you are limited in time and budget since the framework allows developers to move at a faster pace. This framework also suits great if you need to create a database with heavy workloads. Ruby On Rails ships with every necessary library and module. Rails make it easy to build websites according to a set framework that puts convention before configuration. Ruby on Rails is probably the right choice when the project doesn’t require real-time functionality.
If you still hesitate to choose Ruby on Rails or Node.js, our web development company will gladly provide you with the necessary technical help. We are always ready for a new collaboration and will be happy to discuss your website’s details or web-based app. Feel free to visit vtlabs.org.
Follow Techdee for more informative articles.