Apple’s macbook is probably one of the best laptops mostly preferred by those who are into some kind of profession. Therefore, it is obvious to store important files, images, and software in the macbook.
But, sometimes, a corrupted hard disk, virus, or any other possibility can tend to wipe out that important data. In such cases, one thing we all think of is a mac data recovery software, which is surely useful but is there any other way to do so? Let’s find out.
Working Methods to Recover Data from Macbook
Method 1: Use A Mac Recovery Software
The best way to recover data from a macbook is by using mac recovery software. It increases the chances of recovering the data that is not in the trash can or time machine.
One of the most used mac data recovery software is Recoverit by Wondershare which offers you a clean and easy-to-use GUI along with the functionalities that you would need to recover your data.
Some of the key features of Recoverit are:
- Recover videos and audio.
- Recover outlook and archives.
- You can recover documents files of dozen of extensions.
- Inbuilt video repair function
- Easy to use
Method 2: Use the time machine
Time machine is a very useful inbuilt utility of macbook which was introduced in the Leopard version of macOS. Time machine makes automatic backups and simplifies the process of creating and restoring backups.
The best part about using it is that you do not have to restore the entire data, you can restore just one file also.
These steps will help you to connect with your time machine disk and recover the lost data easily.
- Select system preferences from the Apple menu and click on the time machine icon.
- Now select the check box which says “Show time machine in the menu bar”
- Now click on enter time machine which can be done by clicking on the time machine icon in the Apple menu.
- You can now see the file and folders and restore the ones that you need.
Method 3: Look into the trash can
Before deleting a file permanently, it is stored in the trash can for 30 days. You can recover the recently lost files from the trash can and those files will be restored to their original location.
In order to do so, follow these steps:
- The trash can icon is present on the dock, click on it.
- Now the files and folders deleted in the last 30 days will show up.
- Select the files you want to recover, and click on the putback option.
This method is the easiest and the fastest among all the methods to recover files in a macbook.
Method 4: Recover Using the Terminal
Another method to recover data from a macbook is through the terminal. Although there are some drawbacks of using this method, that is you can only recover one file at a time.
You will have to manually specify the restore location, and the worst drawback is that you need to know the exact name of the file that you want to recover. Moreover, you can not preview the files before recovering.
But if these drawbacks don’t bother you, follow the steps below and recover files using the terminal.
- Launch terminal using spotlight and type in cd .Trash to search for the trashcan.
- Now type in ls -al ~/.Trash to check the files stored in the trash can.
- Type mv <filename> ../ for moving the specific file from trash can to home directory. P.S: Replace the filename with the name of the file you want to recover.
Note – The emptied trash can files cannot be recovered.
Losing data is quite common due to hardware failure, viruses, accidental delete, and whatnot. But there are few ways to recover data from a macbook, which we have briefly discussed in this article.
Among the four methods, the most reliable one is using Recoverit Mac data recovery software, which simplifies data recovery for you.
Follow Techdee for more!