Believe it or not, the streaming culture was introduced in the early 90s. It catered to the idea of “video on demand.” With streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and more on the rise, the culture has surged to popular heights.
Billions of people use streaming services across all platforms regularly. Netflix, a pioneer in streaming services, began its operations in 1997. Since then, around 75 million households possess a Netflix subscription in the US alone. And while these “mainstream” streaming services don’t cost a fortune, they aren’t exactly free.
Why Choose Free Streaming?
Netflix costs about $10 per month for a basic plan. Disney+ and Hulu cost $8 and $7 for the same. These plans won’t exactly break the bank, with a subscription to YouTube TV, which could sum up to $70-$80 monthly.
Now, why should anyone be deprived of the joy that is streaming? Hence, if you struggle to pay for all these subscriptions, try using these free streaming platforms.
Here is a comprehensive guide to the best free streaming services in the US:
What is a Free Streaming Service?
The top free streaming services allow you to watch your favorite TV shows and movies without paying a single dime. It includes a good mix of live TV, on-demand content, old classics, and contemporary hits.
Unlike the mainstream services, it is perfectly feasible to subscribe to all of them. Why? Because the subscription is free and so is the streaming. Hours on the hours of binging have never been so pocket-friendly. But there is one minor downside to it – you will have to bear with ads. Though it is not that bad when the resulting service doesn’t cost a single cent.
What are the best free streaming services in the US?
Free streaming services provide you with on-demand content without any subscription fee. It would be wrong to compare them with the likes of Netflix or Hulu. The mainstream services aim to provide the latest content with self-produced shows and movies. Whereas, free streaming services cater to a large majority of people.
Here is a comprehensive list of the best free streaming services in the US:
Peacock is considered to be one of the best streaming services in the US today. From Jurassic Park to The Office, you can binge-watch your favorite shows and movies for free. Peacock also offers exclusive original content for you to enjoy.
Peacock offers three tiers:
- Limited free tier.
- All-inclusive + Ads for $5.
- All-inclusive + No Ads for $5.
- It has 20,000 hours worth of content.
- It offers live TV.
- It has an extensive collection of classics and Peacock originals.
- Peacock supports three concurrent streams.
- It offers HD streaming.
- From android to Xbox, Peacock supports almost all streaming devices.
- User-friendly and easy-to-navigate interface.
- It supports separate profiles against a single account.
- Account registration is required.
- Peacock’s free streaming service has certain limitations or episode caps.
Since Peacock is only available in the US, make sure this doesn’t prevent you from using this fantastic streaming service. Try the Best Peacock VPN in 2022 for unlimited streaming on Peacock.
If you are searching for a streaming service specializing in live streams, Pluto TV is for you. Pluto is a free streaming platform under Paramount. Founded in 2013, Pluto TV has garnered a loyal audience with its on-demand movies and TV shows.
- 250+ live channels.
- On-demand videos, films, and TV shows to binge.
- It offers a Live TV stream.
- From Android to Xbox, Pluto Tv provides support for almost all devices.
- No registration is required.
- Special features for recommended sign-up.
- Simple interface.
- No charge structure.
- The content is a bit outdated but still enjoyable.
- Pluto TV doesn’t support DVR for live streams.
The Roku Channel is Roku’s very own free streaming platform. Introduced by Roku Inc. in 2017, Roku has become a staple for free online streaming. For news, movies, or sports, the Roku channel is here to save you from boredom.
- Supports on-demand and live content.
- 200+ channels.
- Available on all Roku devices, Samsung TV, Apple, and Android phones.
- Roku Channel offers originals.
- Free streaming.
- The user has to bear with adverts.
- The video quality may vary.
- The video selection is a little confusing.
Freevee is a free streaming service by Amazon. From IMDb Freedive to IMDb TV to Freevee, the streaming service has gone through different rebranding phases. The service offers free on-demand content.
- It supports general devices along with Fire TV and Fire Stick.
- Free streaming service.
- Unlimited concurrent streams.
- Available for all major streaming devices.
- Freevee offers originals.
- Freevee doesn’t have live TV channels.
- Ad- supported.
- Little original content.
- The website is a little tough to navigate.
- No offline downloads.
Tubi TV is a Fox corporation-owned free streaming service. Launched in 2014, Tubi TV is a preferred option among the best free streaming services in the US, with around 50 million active users.
- Around 40,000 titles.
- Tubi TV supports Live TV with about 100 Live channels.
- Free streaming service.
- Well-rounded interface.
- It supports parental control.
- Optional registration.
- Tubi TV offers a watchlist feature.
- Unlimited concurrent streams
- The video quality is about 720p or even less.
- An ad-free option isn’t available.
- The content isn’t exactly recent.
Founded in 2004, Crackle is a free video streaming service owned by Chicken Soup for the Soul Entertainment. It is an ad-supported free platform for movie and TV show streaming.
- Optional Sign-up for added features.
- Credit card information is not needed for registration.
- Available on different streaming devices.
- Free streaming.
- Crackle has a nice mix of on-demand movies, TV series, and original programming.
- Frequent rotation of content.
- Crackle doesn’t support Live TV streams.
- Adverts affect the streaming experience at times.
The joint venture of Warner Bros. and NBCUniversal, Vudu is an online streaming service. Founded in 2004, Vudu allows you to rent or buy TV shows or movies. It also lets users to stream Vudu content for free.
- A great option for movie streaming.
- Vudu does not require any subscription.
- On-demand free streaming platform.
- It offers a free content library.
- Child protection options are available.
- It supports all major streaming devices: Fire TV, Apple TV, and more.
- User-friendly interface.
- Vudu doesn’t support Live TV.
- No original content.
- 4K is only available for rented content.
- Repetitive and interactive ads.
All of the aforementioned streaming services possess many similarities. The most important one is that all of them are FREE. Hence, it’s always a win for you. But having so many options can be a bit confusing.
It is necessary to know what type of content you are looking for. For live streams, Pluto and Peacock, among others, could be helpful. If you are interested in watching a movie, Crackle, Peacock, or Vudu may be of great help.
And there you have it! A complete guide for the best streaming services in the US. Watch your favorite TV shows and movies too without paying an expensive subscription fee. Happy streaming!
Follow Techdee for more!