It’s fascinating when we think about how much digital data nowadays is being transmitted over the internet. Digital data includes videos, and sharing them is another form of information sharing. Forecast believes that the typical video viewing time per person will reach 100 minutes each day by 2021. While the general audience shares videos personally, businesses share them as their digital marketing tool.
Sharing videos fast while maintaining security is a challenge. Research by the National Institute of Standards and Technology has shown that risks include a potential breach of sensitive information, classified information, Personally Identifiable Information (PII), and Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI). This can directly lead to legal action, financial loss, violation of compliance, damage to business reputation, etc.
Moreover, there can be problems while sharing videos which ultimately affects productivity. For example, it is highly time-consuming to securely share a large video through email because there is a limit to file size. So, it is almost impossible to share multiple files manually with various team members.
For you to share smartly, we will be discussing 5 Video Sharing Platforms. Luckily, there are some alternatives that will let you share with as little friction as possible. You have several options to choose from based on your requirements, whether you want to drag and drop, tap into tools or share via a cloud platform.
Let us discuss, shall we?
The easiest and simplest way to share videos privately is via cloud file-sharing platforms. Through cloud platforms, you can remotely access your videos anytime and anywhere. However, they don’t provide encryption and crucial security options. EVCM can usually cover these limitations.
One of the options to share efficiently is via cloud sharing platforms. Cloud allows remote access to videos anytime and anywhere. However, these platforms lack in terms of content encryption and enterprise-grade security options that Enterprise Video Sharing Platforms can provide.
Here are 3 top cloud file sharing platforms:
- Through Google Drive, videos can be shared via links among users.
- Google Drive is playback optimized, which means the recipient doesn’t need to download the videos. They are played automatically.
- It also creates multiple formats but takes an extremely long time to create these quality renditions and process the video.
- Google Drive uses an algorithm of AES-256 bits encryption. It encrypts and decrypts your data, which can be prone to malicious attacks.
- Google Drive also provides you with the option of restricting your video’s download, ensuring it is not distributed further from the user’s end.
- OneDrive is another cloud platform for quick video upload and sharing.
- The platform gives you 5GB of cloud storage for free. It provides multiple plans for home, office, and business subscriptions with an Office 365 plan.
- It’s an excellent option to opt for collaborating on online work documents with others in real-time.
- Microsoft OneDrive is encrypted with FIPS 140-2 and AES256 compliance. The overall process of video encryption both at rest and in transit is foolproof, as Microsoft is known for its security measures.
- OneDrive limitation includes a very low-quality playback experience with no quality rendition and without any closed captions.
- Dropbox is another cloud file sharing platform.
- Dropbox allows you to restrict video downloads and even allows you to expire your video link, unlike Google Drive and OneDrive.
- Just like Google Drive, Dropbox can create different video resolution levels and formats.
- Out of these 3 cloud platforms, Dropbox is the least secure. Dropbox tends to use its own encryption keys, opening a window for hackers to decrypt your content. Moreover, the videos on Dropbox are also not end-to-end encrypted.
YouTube – Private Video Sharing With Low Security:
The most popular and simple video-sharing option is YouTube. Depending on your goals, it can be the right platform, but for secure sharing or enterprise-grade video use, you must think again! You can unlist and tweak the settings to make your videos private, but that is the limit to the security offered by YouTube.
- The benefit of using YouTube is that it can stream on varying bandwidths. Video playback also works on multiple devices and with different quality renditions.
- It has dynamic accessibility, with keyboard shortcuts and closed captions.
- YouTube offers external embedding for sharing your videos with external audiences, but you cannot secure these videos.
- The biggest issue is that YouTube doesn’t provide you the option to restrict video downloads at the user’s end, so they can easily share your videos with others.
- Another drawback of publishing your videos on YouTube is that you have to give up a certain amount of ownership to the site, as you give YouTube the permission to reproduce and share your content. These drawbacks can easily be tackled with an Enterprise Video Sharing Platform.
Secured Sharing Through Enterprise Video Sharing Platform
VIDIZMO, a Gartner-recognized Enterprise Video platform, which allows you to publish and manage videos securely in one place. It has multiple secure video sharing with added advantage is as follows:
- Bulk videos can be uploaded and shared via a password-protected link
- Utilize VIDIZMO’s rich sharing options to swiftly share with specific viewers with a limit set on the number of views and time allowed to view.
- It offers limited share through email where recipients would need to temporarily authenticate to view the media.
- It also allows you to define what people with access can do, whether they can only view, download, embed, or share ahead.
- The VIDIZMO player creates multiple formats that are readily playable on any device and browser under different bandwidth conditions.
- VIDIZMO supports AI-powered automatic transcription and their translation to make your videos accessible. You can also add closed captions.
- To make your video interactive, you can add quizzes, surveys, annotations or handouts within them.
- VIDIZMO provides robust FIPS 140-2 compliant content encryption for your videos to be completely secure.
- VIDIZMO also allows you to maintain audit log files to track video activity and meet compliances like GDPR and HIPAA.
WeTransfer is a simpler platform for secure video-sharing. However, it’s not suitable for large files and collaborative efforts in large organizations. Most of the features are only included in the paid version.
- WeTransfer Pro allows an individual to set passwords and expiration dates on your videos to ensure unauthorized access is restricted.
- WeTransfer also allows the tracking of downloads for your video. However, you can’t limit viewers from downloading your videos. So, there is a risk of them sharing it forward.
- The data is encrypted with AES 256 at rest, which means its data is highly secure. Its data is also stored in AWS data centers.
Wistia Video Sharing Platform:
Wistia is a marketing software and a well-known video sharing platform for anonymous users. A big plus is that it allows you to embed videos on external sites and supports SEO optimization. Some other features offered by Wistia are:
- Comprehensive embedding options that include speedy load time with support for easy embedding that is SEO optimized. However, there is no method to restrict embedding to authorized personnel only.
- Wistia allows role-based access to individuals to assign permissions like viewing and downloading rights. Moreover, you can share videos through links and invite users to collaborate on the project.
- Like YouTube and VIDIZMO, Wistia is video playback optimized.
What to Choose?
There are multiple options to share your video content, from simple cloud file-sharing platforms to enterprise-grade video sharing platforms. The question is what to choose? Which options will be the best for your unique use case? To drill down the answer, you need to figure out your purpose for private video sharing. Based on your size, bandwidth, access controls, or other video requirements, you can choose to go for one of the above-mentioned secure video sharing solutions.
Follow Techdee for more!