As a small business owner, do not underestimate the immense power of video content. It can be transformative for your business in the early stages, particularly when paired with a well-strategized YouTube marketing campaign.
In this article, we’re going to share 5 tips for creating awesome YouTube content and how to benefit from the platform as an SME.
Remember the Golden 80 / 20 Rule
The 80 / 20 rule is arguably one of the most important rules on social media marketing because it is relevant and applicable to each platform. The rule is: to share 80% entertaining and informative content and 20% promotional.
So, rather than focus all of your video content on selling your products, the primary focus should be on engaging with your audience, entertaining them, and giving them a sneak peek into your world.
Don’t Skimp on Equipment or Talent
The assumption that anyone can record a video and take photographs is an expensive one. The fact is, there’s a gargantuan difference in terms of quality between an average Joe making YouTube footage, and a seasoned professional.
Of course, if you can’t afford to hire a professional videographer, at least make sure you have the appropriate equipment and that you study lighting and composition and the many other factors that can influence the overall finished product quality of the shot.
The modern consumer is becoming more and more sophisticated so make a commitment to quality if you wish to achieve the best results.
Know Who Your Audience Is and How to Promote to Them
Obviously, understanding your audience is a very big deal in marketing – more so in a social media landscape. Are you advertising on social media in Singapore to attract new B2B clients? Is your main target audience located in the US or UK? Is your ideal customer aged between 25 and 40 years old? What are the biggest fears and objections?
The more information you have on your ideal buyer persona (and location), the better positioned you will be to craft YouTube content that resonates with them and compels them to take action!
Identify your Long-term Goals
YouTube is all about the long game. What are your long-term goals on YouTube? Are you looking to grow your brand awareness? To create a useful and engaging platform with high-value information in your industry? Are you simply looking to increase sales?
The likelihood is that you won’t see a huge amount of success when publishing your first few videos so having a long-term strategy will help you stay focused on the bigger picture.
Make sure you understand the other Video Platforms and when to use them
While YouTube is the biggest video marketing platform online, it isn’t the only platform you can use to connect with your audience.
YouTube is better with long-form video content, whereas TikTok enjoys short-form videos and Instagram thrives on reels.
Experiment between multiple platforms and see how you get on.
The Best Types of Video Content for Small Businesses
Here are some additional insights on the types of video content that small businesses can use to establish their online presence:
- Introductory videos: a short video with an overview of your brand and business and perhaps some behind-the-scenes introductions to your employees.
- Product demos: demonstrating how to use your products (and get the most out of them) is a great way to never run out of video ideas!
- Customer Testimonials: if you can put together a reel with all of your favorite customer testimonials, you’ll have a very valuable marketing tool to help up those conversions – especially if you embed it on your website/product pages.
- Expert interviews: if your aim is to establish yourself as a thought leader, you can host Q&A sessions with industry experts and grant your audience an opportunity to gain access to exceptional value.
Conclusion: Always have a Plan
- Remember the 80 / 20 rule – keep it light and entertaining.
- Invest in the right equipment and talent.
- Know your audience.
- Identify your long-term goals.
- Study and experiment with other video marketing platforms.
Stick to a plan, split-test, and stay committed to quality and consistency. This is critical in experiencing genuine long-term success on YouTube.
Follow Techdee for more!