Unlimited internet connection is now important in our daily life, whether for entertainment or for professional activities. Unfortunately, this connection can sometimes experience slowdowns which often weaken the quality of the signal at home. This slowing down can be due to several elements including physical objects, electronic devices, etc.
To remedy this situation, we offer you these few practical solutions to follow.
1. Measure your internet access speed
This step is particularly important. Before contacting the technical support of your internet provider, you’d better measure the internet speed in your home. You can do the test on your operator’s official website, or through one of the tools available online.
Once the test is completed, you will be able to have a realistic view of the state of your connection, without relying on the number promised by your operator, which is very often theoretical:
– The type of Internet Access technology: if you notice that the speed is low, remember to change your connection mode, then repeat the test. Experts strongly recommend using the Ethernet cable instead of the Wi-Fi connection. The cable guarantees a stable and efficient service throughout the navigation on the net.
– The location of the router: you must choose a good location of the router if you are using the wireless connection. Place the equipment in a ventilated area within the house and free from interference. The router must be elevated to 1 meter or 1.50 meters from the ground to receive a good signal at home.
– Interference at home: keep the router as far as possible from walls, metal objects, and electrical devices. To resolve the interference problem, do not hesitate to purchase a dual-band router.
– Repeaters: you can use the WiFi repeater to boost the range of the network at home. To install it, just press the WPS button.
– Speed: You can go to the speedcheck.org website and check your accurate internet speed.
– The model of the equipment used: whether it is for residential telephony or the Internet connection, the consumer must always have quality equipment. A recent device offers multiple choices of channels, more reliable network coverage, and scalable speeds with various accessories.
If the internet connection problem persists despite everything, do not hesitate to contact your operator’s technical support. It will provide you with the tools you need to boost your throughput as quickly as possible.
2. Secure your internet connection
You need to secure your household internet connection with a strong password to prevent malicious people from infiltrating your network.
If there are guests in your home, it is recommended that you use a separate network, and limit its range.
3. Control your applications
Recent router models provide innovative options for their users, allowing them to categorize programs according to their type and degree of importance. This option is important to avoid the monopolization of bandwidth when downloading large files by one of the family members.
Certainly, multiple solutions can be implemented to improve internet speed at home.
But if many of you are consuming bandwidth, it is better to change your current subscription and to take out a very high-speed offer instead.