The pandemic has changed consumer needs in some surprising ways. One of those ways is the increased need for desktop publishing. As we have to communicate and live life at more of a distance than before, it’s more important than ever to make sure we can communicate clearly. Desktop publishing can help with making communications organized, easy to read, and visually appealing. Below, we’ll look into desktop publishing and how you can use it during the pandemic.
Desktop Publishing Services for Business
Desktop publishing involves using computer software to layout and display information. What is desktop publishing used for? It’s used to layout magazines, newspapers, and other visually appealing documents. Other examples of desktop publishing include slideshows, product manuals, brochures, leaflets, email newsletters, webpages, books, and anything else that needs formatting for print or for publication on the web. The beauty of desktop publishing services is that they use that software to create stunning documents that are print- or display-ready. Ofer Tirosh, CEO of language services provider Tomedes, stresses the importance of desktop publishing for a huge range of documents, including multilingual ones. These range from translations of individual certificates to glossy corporate brochures. Often, these services have design experts and work with different types of desktop publishing software, like InDesign and QuarkXPress.
You may also see the abbreviation DTP. What are DTP and its advantages? DTP is simply short for desktop publishing. Its advantages are numerous. They include the enhanced appearance of your company’s information and the potential to reduce production costs. Below, we’ll explore some DTP benefits and the importance of desktop publishing from a business perspective:
- Better style: Desktop publishing often includes arranging text, images, and charts for maximum clarity and readability. You can customize anything for a particular audience. You can help people understand your products and make your business more accessible.
- Reduced costs: Having desktop publishing services handle your documents can save on costs. Investing in desktop publishing software is quite expensive. A single program can run to hundreds of pounds. If you just need a few documents laid out here and there, you might not be able to justify the cost. However, with DTP services, you can pay as you go for individual documents. You’re also saving on hours spent as employees learn to use the software and work on creating the documents.
- Increased sales and business marketing: You can use desktop publishing in expanding your business. An enticing advertisement or brochure could do wonders for your sales figures.
Why Are Desktop Publishing Services Important During the Pandemic?
A major change since the pandemic is that we need to be able to communicate with each other remotely much more than previously. This has increased the need for clear and visually appealing documents. Whether it’s a sign telling people that masks are required inside a store or a training manual for employees learning to work from home, desktop publishing can make these new requirements and divides a little less stressful.
Plus, as people have spent more time alone and at home, we’ve all wanted something to read. The book chain Waterstones saw a 400% increase in online sales back in March 2020, when the first lockdown began.
With desktop publishing, we can help people communicate and live at a distance in ways that might not be as dreary or frustrating. During a pandemic, desktop publishing can help:
- Layout an e-commerce site in a way that is easy to navigate and entices people to buy
- Encourage people to wear masks in a way that is informative, friendly, or even playful (such as a local restaurant showing a mask on an ice cream cone)
- Assist a sales team to sell products in a safer way through well-designed documents that explain a product from a distance
- Create ebooks so people can still be entertained and educated while spending more time at home
- Help employees work remotely by designing email newsletters, training documents, or remote presentations that help them stay informed and connected
These are just some of the major ways that desktop publishing can help people and businesses during a pandemic.
Using Desktop Publishing and Translation for Expanding Your Business
Surprisingly, now might be a good time to look into expanding your business into other markets in an e-commerce capacity. More people are buying online all over the world, with popular sites like Amazon experiencing a major boom in demand. As stores have been closed or have reduced inventory to make up for less foot traffic, more people have been purchasing online. During the first six months of 2020, in the US alone retailers saw a 30.1% increase in e-commerce sales. That’s up to $347.26 billion from $266.84 billion. So, if you are thinking of expanding your business online, now is the time to do it – and desktop publishing can ensure that your brand stands out from the competition for all the right reasons.
Desktop publishing services from translation agencies can help you expand your e-commerce business in foreign markets, along with services such as website localization. To find one near you, try searching terms like translation services in London, translation services near me, or translation companies in the UK. You might also search by the language you need, using search terms like desktop publishing in Chinese, desktop publishing in French, or desktop publishing in Spanish. Accessing multilingual desktop publishing services can open up new markets and new horizons despite the pandemic.
Leave a Reply